Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Semana 35 - Teaching by the Holy Spirit

Hello all! 

As always, I can’t believe it’s already Monday.  If I were to sum up this week in only a few words, I would say “Teaching by the Holy Spirit.”  We were so directed this week to say and teach exactly what we needed to.  Hermana Renteria is past some of the hardest weeks in the mission.  After the first few weeks, she is totally starting to read my mind during the lessons, which is to actually say we are both receiving and acting on inspiration and revelation from God.  

On Tuesday we went up to Tonala for a district meeting which was actually really good.  We taught R, who has a baptism date set for the beginning of December. She’s 12 years old and has an open heart so understands and accepts the gospel easily and with faith.  She loves the missionaries and always tries to guess our first names.  

On Wednesday we visited the members of Bonanza, who informed me that Donald Trump won the election and asked me what I thought about it.  Really, everyone has been asking me about this topic.  I think they all know more about what’s going on in my country than I do since I’ve been gone and 100% out of the loop on everything.  

On Thursday I got to try a new dish that actually wasn’t bad.  Pig foot in bean soup!  I’ve been trying to embrace the traditional food while I’m here.  

On Friday we taught an investigator who we love but isn’t coming to church.  We went into it kind of unplanned because I honestly wasn’t sure what she needed when we were planning in the morning.  We ended up teaching the Plan of Salvation and all of us cried during some point in the lesson.  It was really cool and we were 500% listening to the spirit, and we taught the lesson without dying which is good because it’s seriously the hardest lesson.  After, we passed a girl in the street and I felt the prompting to contact her but ignored it (!!) and we kept walking to our appointment.  We realized though that we had forgotten all the materials we needed for the appointment.  So we turned around and passed the girl again, but this time we acted and contacted her.  Turns out, she’s a less active member and invited us to visit her.  Whoo!  

On Saturday we visited La Vainilla and afterwards had a good lesson with J, who’s preparing to be baptized in the beginning of January.  He’s totally ready but has to get married first.  

On Sunday our little branch piled into President Toledo’s truck and we all traveled to Pijijiapan for a conference.  Honestly the fact that people can ride in truck beds here is the most convenient thing ever.  In the conference Russell M. Nelson and Carol F. McConkie talked in Spanish which was cool and really impressive.  

That night we visited a less active recent convert and told him that his sister wants to get baptized, but she wants HIM, to be the one to baptize her. However, they haven’t been coming to church and have a few things to take care of so he can’t right now.   But they opened up to us and Hermana Renteria and I totally received revelation.  I flipped to Joseph Smith History, where he talks about the First Vision.  I opened my mouth to share it and Hermana Renteria  started talking about the same thing!  I read the part where Joseph Smith kneels down to pray and feels overcome by Satan, and how he has real power to divert us from  God.  But just as he was about to succumb, he saw a column of light, above the brightness of the sun.  As I read the familiar account of Jesus and Heavenly Father appearing to Joseph, I felt a power from the words I was speaking, testifying to all of us of the reality of Joseph Smith’s vision. This is what missionary work is all about, and it’s SO COOL when things like that happen.  

This week I also learned something important about Obedience and blessings. We have an investigator (many, really in this situation) who doesn’t understand why she has a lot of hardships.  However, she’s not coming to church, praying, or reading her scriptures so we shared: “I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” D & C 82:10.  God promises to bless us when we are obedient, so when we aren’t obedient, He isn’t obligated to bless us with anything.  Often He still does bless us out of love for His children, but technically blessings are predicated on obedience. Obviously obedience to the commandments doesn’t mean life is perfect and easy 24/7, but it does mean that God is bound to bless us.  That’s my spiritual thought for the week, and hope everyone is doing well!  

Con mucho amor, Hermana Dangl 

Mi Comision Misional... "Mis voz es su voz, mis actos son sus actos, mis palabras son sus palabras y mi doctrina es su doctrina." Bruce R Mckonkie (i.e., My Commission as a missionary: "My voice is your voice, my acts are your acts, my words are your words, my doctrine is your doctrine.")


 Hermana Renteria with our friend . . . . President Toledo's pig.


 Hermana Renteria and I coming home from La Vainilla.

  Rubi is going be be baptized in December.

The branch in President Toledo's truck bed.

 A rainbow in what we call "Calle Luis."  Why?  Because when we asked someone who lives on this street what it was called, she told us it doesn't have a name.  Thus, it's named after the investigator we are teaching who lives here.  His name is Luis and he has 2 brothers, also named Luis. 


 Altar from Day of the Dead last week.

 Our district! Cabeza de Toro




Rubi and her mom with the pumpkins that we gifted them.  A member gave us 3 so we gifted 2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment