Monday, March 27, 2017

Semana 54 - One year in the mission, amazing contacts & more craft projects

Hello Everyone! 

This week was a good one! I learned many things. :o) On Monday, P-day, we spent the day with the Alores Family. Their kids are both on missions right now. Hermana Ruth, the mom, made us breakfast and then helped us make brownies and taught us how to do a new type of embroidery. It uses tulle and thread, and it's very traditional for the typical dresses from Chiapas (vestidos Chiapanecos). They also took us out to eat at a fancy restaurant. I think they're the closest we have to parents here on the mish. After Pday ended, we visited a less active family that was also a reference. They received us well. Supposedly, the grandpa, who's not a member, had always chased the missionaries away from his home. Only 2 of his daughters are members, but they let us teach them and the grandpa not only listened, but accepted the invitation to be baptized. Whoa! 

On Tuesday we had a normal day. We are working with a few less active members who also come from part-member families and that effort is going well.

On Wednesday we saw a small miracle... we finally found the house of a couple we had contacted but never been able to visit because we could never find them. It has a door that leads to some rooms, and they live in one of the rooms. So, we were outside, pounding on the door when one of their neighbors came home and opened the door for us. He asked us if we were Mormons... we said yes. He asked us what he had to do to get his hands on one of our Bibles. Then he told us he'd already read the whole Book of Mormon. What?! 

I turned one year in the mission!! Everyone always says that time flies, and I have to admit that it's true... a year ago, I said goodbye to everyone, boarded a plane, and set off for the MTC. I had no clue what to expect or what I was getting myself into. :o) But, here I am and I can say I've survived a year in Chiapas, Mexico! In 12 months I've changed a lot and I've learned a LOT. I've learned a language. I've grown as a person. I've truly learned about what Christ's gospel is. I know what my priorities are. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if I didn't board the plane on March 23, 2016. Honestly, my mission has done more for me than I could ever have imagined, and I think I will forever be grateful for the experiences I've had. It's amazing how much someone can change in one year. The things that were once so weird and foreign now make sense and are part of my daily life. I honestly feel that it is very bittersweet to have gotten to this point. 

On Friday we had companion exchanges, and I got to be in Mactumatza with Hermana Banda. As we worked together, I was reminded of one of the primary songs about Pioneers that we put a little twist on. We sang, "Missionaries sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked..." All of our appointments fell through! It was rough! We call those types of days, "One of THOSE days." We did teach an investigator though who's been investigating the church for 4 years. We turned the tables on him and pretended to be investigators, and he had to teach US and answer OUR questions. It went surprisingly well. 

On Saturday we finished the companion exchanges. As we left, we convinced a taxi driver to let us put a mattress on top of the taxi to bring it home with us. Plus a less active member taught us how to crochet using plastic grocery bags. I get myself into a lot of fun artsy crafty projects here, but I never have time to finish anything. However, the goal is to crochet a scripture cover, so hopefully I'll finish soon. We also saw the General Women's Conference... it was amazing! If you missed it, you can go to www.lds.org and find it there. 

Sunday was a normal Sunday, full of missionary work, day. Yay!  I hope you all have a great week! 

Con amor, Hermana Dangl

 The start to my new scripture case that I'm crocheting out of plastic grocery bags.


The embroidery that Hermana Ruth taught us that is done for the typical dresses from Chiapas (vestidos chiapanecos).



 Companion exchanges with Hermanas Connolly and Banda.


 Our mattress adventure with the taxi.


 The sun after a hot day in Tuxtla. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment