Monday, September 11, 2017

Semana 78 - Earthquake, FHE, & Singing in church

Hi everyone!

This week was a bit crazy but also laid back at the same time.  I’ll start with the crazy . . .

  • EARTHQUAKE!  This week was an 8.2 earthquake hit Chiapas.  It lasted for 23 seconds and affected a few other states as well, but mostly in Chiapas.  It’s epicenter was pretty close to us and in Tonala there are houses that were damaged, I ‘ve been told, but here in Tapachula all is well!  We felt it pretty strongly but it could have been a lot worse.  After it hit, President Doman sent us a message telling us to get to the nearest chapel before the aftershock hit.  So we ended up sleeping in the church (there’s a first time for everything, it seems) on chairs.  It kinda of sucked because this was all happening at like 1 o’clock in the morning.  The good thing from all of this was that it made a lot of people reflect on their lives and what they would have done if it had been “the end.”  I felt pretty calm though during it all because there are earthquakes in California, but my companion was kind of freaked out. 

  • We did a Family Home Evening with less actives, non members and members present and it went super well!  I totally believe in the power of Family Home Evenings now, it was total revelation when the church started encouraging families to set aside one night every week to be together and learn together.

  • We sang “Where Can I Turn for Peace?”  in church with 3 other members and it went well.

  • This was a week of listening and I found out that there are a lot of faithful sisters in the church who are really strong, even though they have some tough challenges (or maybe they’re strong because of their challenges) and it made me think of Emma Smith.  There’s a 5 minute video on youtube called, “An Elect Lady,” that I really like because it shows that when we trust in God, we can get through anything! 
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR7u50O2kQU

  • Today I am starting my LAST week of the mission . . . it doesn’t feel real, I don’t think I’ve accepted it yet, but I’m going to do my best to keep working, loving, and enjoying. 

Con mucho amor, Hermana Dangl

 Tapachula in the morning.



 Their "beds" in the chapel after the earthquake.







No comments:

Post a Comment