Monday, May 2, 2016

Semana 7 - I'm in the field - Tuxtla, Gutierrez

Today was a big day for Hermana Dangl she left the MTC and flew to her mission, Tuxtla Gutierrez.  She sent each one of her family members an individual letter in the mail, there had been missionary coming back to the states from the MTC that dropped them in the mailbox in the USA.  It arrived in the mailbox today and then an hour later I received her email with some pictures of her district, her teachers, and her Mission President and wife picking her up at the airport and then in front of the Tuxtla, Gutierrez Temple.  Yahoo! 

This mama had to shed a tear again 6 weeks later. I cried when she left to go to the MTC but then had to cry again from the letter she sent me right before going out into the field today.  She has worked so hard these past 6 weeks and it has been constant work.  It is full immersion of the Spanish language and the missionaries these days do way more hands on teaching with pseudo investigators than we ever did.  These missionaries have been trained intensely for the past 6 weeks and it is hard and will still be hard, but “We can do hard things.”  I am so proud of her and had a payback moment today as a parent and had to share some of her letter with you.  The reason I was emotional this afternoon is because I had an amazing parenting moment. How amazing is it to have your 19 year old daughter write and tell you these things?  This is what she wrote, “Thank you for everything you have done for me.  I’ve been able to have a very full life, grow up in the gospel and that has all been a huge blessing for me.  I feel like my upbringing has prepared me for a lot for the hardships that I’ve already been experiencing in my mission.  Thank you for your example.  I think you have been a stalwart example of someone who loves and serves those around you constantly.  So I thank you for that!  I’m grateful for the times you pushed me to do things that I didn’t want to do.  Here I have to push myself and it’s hard!  It’s hard when I can’t just half heartedly do stuff and just hope that the next chapter or test will be better.  When stuff doesn’t make sense here, it can’t be ignored.  I actually have to learn it!  I wish I had practiced more on the piano and I never thought I would say it!  But it’s true and push Jeffrey to practice! The fights are worth it! I wish you had fought harder and I’m sorry I was so hard about that.  I know this work is the best work!”  Yes, she has her hymnbook and she will be put to work down there in the church, using her talent of music, singing in choirs, and playing the piano. 

Now onto Hermana Dangl’s email, short and sweet this week.

I’M IN THE FIELD NOW!!!!! Ahhhh! On Friday we had a million field-prep workshops and what not and everything has been about getting ready to go. Packing and weighing suitcases has been my biggest responsibility these last few days. On Sunday the whole CCM sang to us “Para siempre Dios este con vos,” or “God be with you til we meet again.” Then they showed a slideshow of pictures of our district and another district that was leaving. It was so sad so see them all! It´s so bitter sweet to leave the CCM. I´ll always have amazing memories of the CCM, but I am also beyond excited for this next chapter. I had to get up at 1:15 am to finish packing and do laundry and then Hna. Nelson and I were out the door by 2:45 am to get to the reception at 3. They had to do lots of stuff and make sure that I hadn´t lost my passport or my green card (Yes guys, I have a green card. The picture is an actual mug shot.) Anyway, then had the bus ride to the airport and then we flew to Tuxtla and got there around 8:30 am. When I got off the plane it was like being pounded with a wave of humidity and heat.  President George and his wife and his AP’s picked us all up and we got to go take pictures in front of the Tuxtla Gutierrez Temple.  It is so pretty and I can´t wait to go inside :) Then we came back to the mission home for breakfast and I´ve pretty much been hanging out doing nothing ever since. It feels so weird! I don´t know what to do with myself after weeks of constant go, go, go.  I find out my area and companion tomorrow.  President George did drop some hints though. He said that I can see the beach from my house and that my trainer doesn´t speak English. Also that I will have two trainers because my first one leaves in 6 weeks after this transfer. Things are going to get crazy and waayyy harder than they´ve been, and I can´t wait! Con amor, Hermana Dangl

We get to talk to her on Sunday for Mother's Day and we are so excited.  Best present ever!  
I will let you know the best way to send her packages, etc. very soon.  Her birthday is June 18th. Her p-day will be Monday and her email is: katelynne.dangl at myldsmail.net







No comments:

Post a Comment