Monday, May 16, 2016

Semana 9 - Washing Your Laundry Takes Hours!

Semana 9 – Washing Your Laundry Takes Hours!

This week was super long.  The days are long and the weeks are long. I know that soon enough I’ll feel differently, but for now everything is long.  Last Monday after I wrote, we did our laundry!  It actually took hours because you have to hand wash every piece of clothing.  Some of you might have experience with this but I would assume most of you haven’t had to wash all of your clothing by hand on top of your roof.  Basically, it’s like 2 separate basins. One full of water (it’s deep to the floor and comes up to my waist) and the other is just like a flat surface for washing.  So you use a cup to dip in the water then pour on top of your clothes.  It’s definitely an experience and might be fun if I was traveling or something and it was a one time deal but this is a weekly thing.  

Also we taught this really old woman and we’d say to her “you can make covenants in the temple,” and she’d be like “Ahh, claro que si,” which basically means “obviously,” so I don’t think she actually understood us.  Anyway, I’ve been kind of sick lately, and my companion Hermana Juarez says it takes three weeks for the American stomach to get accustomed to everything down here.  So it’s been fun!  The worst though is when we teach lessons at night and I’m swatting away bugs and mosquitoes so much that I can’t really do anything else.  No amount of bug spray is working.  I have a lot of bites. It’s surprisingly difficult to accustom to everything here.  It’s just a different world than I am used to.  For example, when I was served fish, it wasn’t a big deal to anyone else that the fish still had fins and scales and a head but for me, the internal freak out was very real.  Also, as I said in an earlier letter, the setup I have for my clothes washing is very similar to how the kitchen sinks in the houses are set up.  There is a big basin of water and then the sink part.  I was at a member’s house doing dishes and I saw something move in the water. This water is used to wash dishes, hands, etc. and it was a fish!  Kind of a big one too.  Apparently it’s for bacteria and algae but I think the fish poop and bits of tortilla the member was throwing at it was the worse part!  Haha!  Spanish is still really hard for me, but I’m trying my best to be patient.  I appreciate your support through reading my emails, writing me, and praying for me.  Con amor, Hermana Dangl

Last week the address I sent was for letters. 

This one is for packages.  
Sister Katelynne Dangl
México Tuxtla Gutiérrez Mission
Calle Jazmines #210
Fracc. Los Laureles
29020 Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas
MEXICO
I have heard to choose the cheapest rate and you can send them priority or regular first class.
If you use a private courier (DHL, UPS, FedEx) I think they ask for a phone number.

52 961-671-9761 phone number 

 Washing all of your clothes by hand on Pday.
Clothes drying from the rooftop.

 View from the rooftop of our house.

 Hermana Juarez and I drinking frapasol.
Wearing our Mexican blouses.
 A picture with some members.
At the coast.

Standing in a boat.


 Visiting with Elders from our neighboring district.

The town of Tonala

No comments:

Post a Comment