Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Semana 10 - The beach is beautful!



Hola! 

Last Monday I mentioned laundry, so when we went up to the roof to wash our clothes, the water was nasty and brown so we couldn’t do our laundry.  It had rained and had been really stormy the night before and apparently that makes our water dirty.  All the water from all of our faucets was brown.  This was a problem and you can’t rewear any of your clothes between washes because they’re gross after like an hour of wearing them because it’s so hot and humid.  I’m mostly better now health wise but I don’t actually know if it is possible for my weak American stomach to ever totally accustom.  I haven’t talked a lot about our investigators, but we have two getting baptized this Saturday.  It’s super exciting. One of them is married, but her husband who is a member is working in Utah right now. She wanted to wait for him to get back so he could baptize her, so its been tough to set a date.  However we had an awesome lesson where her husband skyped in and we taught about temples at the end, and then we had a date set in stone.  Super Awesome!  

On Tuesday we had a multi zone conference.  President George and his AP’s (Assistants to the President) and all of the surrounding zones got together for a day of AC (air conditioning) and spirituality.  It was good and was a little reunion of some of my CCM (MTC) family.  Also Hermana Juarez told me my accent isn’t too bad, not sure if she is just saying that or not.  In a year or so when I come back you guys can be the judge of my Spanish.  We taught a crazy lady and there was a lot of finger waving and what not.  I opened my mouth to speak and she was like, “If you’re more comfortable speaking English you can. I lived in Canada for a couple of years.”  I think that was the #1 top condescending thing that’s been said to me thus far.  Probably because she didn’t even let me speak first, just saw that I’m American and assumed my Spanish was terrible (she assumed right).  This isn’t new for me to teach in Spanish, because we teach lessons all day every day in Spanish and somehow I survive.  Plus if I speak in English for a lesson then my companion won’t understand the things I’m saying. 

The #2 top condescending thing that happens is when someone says something to me and I don’t understand part of it, usually the object or noun.  For example, a member asks me if I like a certain type of food, but I don’t know what the food is so I’m sitting there thinking, I don’t know.  Is it more dangerous to say yes or no in this moment?  Is it the food I’m eating right this second?”  And the member takes this thought process as me not understanding so instead of saying it again or slower, they’ll use super simple English plus the word or type of food that they’re talking about and then I’m still confused and it’s basically a mess.  In general, the people here are very nice and they’re just trying to help.  It’s hard not to feel like everyone thinks I’m stupid when I don’t understand though. 

The funnies moment of the week was with a super old menos activo (less active member).  He was talking really quietly and slurred words together a lot so I was not understanding anything. No context, and then I realized he’s talking about a little butterfly walking on his leg and I was so confused but it was so funny and I really wanted to laugh because he kept saying “mariposita,” and using his fingers to show it walking.  We also got to attend a baptism and the kid had to be baptized three times because he kept not going all the way under.  Also the most terrifying moment this week was when I had something in my eye but couldn’t find it and it was really bothering me.  I guess the investigator lady noticed that I kept touching my eye because she asked me about it and then was like “a ver” which basically means “let’s see” and she walks over, opens my eye and gets really close. I thought she was just looking closely but she put her mouth almost on my eye and blew really hard a couple of times.  I guess it’s supposed to help but it was more gross and terrifying than anything else.  

The water in the bathroom with the good toilet randomly stopped working for a couple of days so that was rough.  It’s all part of the Mexico experience, I guess.  All in all, I’m doing well.  Things that at first seem terrible and strange are becoming less so.  Like when your water is brown for a week but by the end of the week you don’t even care and it’s just another part of life. Some things to note, it’s hard to describe things here, everything is different, from the way people greet each other to how full they fill glasses of liquid.  Here is a taste of my life:  The cars honk at nothing for no reason, completely unprovoked and I don’t know why, but it’s is the weirdest phenomenon and drives me crazy.  I am absolutely covered in mosquito bites on my legs and feet.  I wear two different types of bug spray one being 98% deet, and nothing holds the bugs back.  The thunder here is apocalyptically loud and it feels like the sky is falling when it storms.  People sell stuff from carts, but the best is the ice cream.  Tortillerias – they are shops that literally ONLY sell tortillas.  It’s amazing that no one wears seat belts ever.   A lot of people ride scooters or motorcycles but they don’t hold onto anything or each other and I am dreading the day I see someone fall off. 

For our pday (Preparation day) we also went to the beach and it was amazing!  It was so warm with a breeze and we were allowed to go in the water up to our knees. I took a nap in a hammock and it was basically the best thing ever! I hope everyone has a great week! Thank you for your prayers and support.

Con amor, Hermana Dangl


P day at the beach.







 At our zone conference.
 President & Srs.George with missionaries in our zone.




 Taco time!
 Study time!

No comments:

Post a Comment