Monday, July 25, 2016

Semana 19 - Good bye Tonala and Hello Mapastapec

Friends and Family,

I’ll get to the good stuff:  President closed our area so the Elders in the neighboring area that are in the same branch will take over our area plus their area.  I’m going to . . . Mapastapec!  I’m in the same zone and the same district, just a different area.  My new companion is Hermana Arellano.  She and Hermana Limon were companions in the CCM (Missionary Training Center).  I’m going to my new area tomorrow.  For today, I’ll be in Arriago with my sister training leaders. 

Okay rewind to the beginning of the week.  I ate the best quesadillas of my life.  I think I love Mexico for its food.  I also drank some water this week called Tescalate.  It’s corn water but with all this seasoning and something that makes it a thick, dark orange color.  It was absolutely amazing.  I love all the waters here. 

We also directed “Noche de Hogar” (Family Home Evening) this week.  The branch has Family Home Evenings together every Wednesday.  I remember my first Noche de Hogar my first day in Tonala and there were like 10 people there.  Now everyone comes and its super fun and crazy.  There were about 70 people who showed, almost the same as the attendance on Sundays.  The Elders basically directed it and then out of the blue said the Hermanas now had time to share something, so we pulled some stuff out of thin air and I can’t even express how it feels to barely know Spanish but your companion gives you the “your turn” look and there’s 140 eyes looking at you.  But that’s the life of a missionary! 

The highlight of my day on Thursday was when we were teaching a lesson and I looked over and realized that our investigator had a pet squirrel.  It had a leash and everything.  It was surprising because here instead of seeing squirrels everywhere like at home in my backyard, there are iguanas.  I hadn’t seen a squirrel since I left the states.  It was very exciting and I got to hold it. 

On Friday we ate the chocolate cabeza (head), that was a gift from a member.  It’s basically some kind of Aztec looking head thing, and obviously made of chocolate.  I also bought the world’s smallest Bible.  Hermana Limon has a lot of back pain, so sometimes she only brings her Book of Mormon in her bag, because the Old Testament weighs a million pounds.  So as a joke I bought a Bible on a keychain for 6 pesos.  It’s really small and it has a little gold case with a jewel. 

On Saturday I passed my 4 month mark in the mission.  I can’t believe it’s already been 4 months.  We also found out our cambios (transfers) on Saturday and that I’m going to Mapa and Hermana Limon is going to Tuxtla to open an area plus train a new missionary.  I already have one “sister” but now I’m going to have another.  It’s a surprise though, who it’s going to be.  There is always a ceremony meeting thing where they put your pictures up and it’s very suspenseful.  We’ve been guessing a lot about who it’s going to be – the brand new missionaries pictures are in the newsletter every transfer. 

Today we got up super early to finish packing and cleaning and say goodbye to everyone.  Chaluelita and Diana came to help us clean because they’re angels and they love us.  It was super sad to say goodbye but at the same time, I’m going to be traveling to Tonala two times every cambio (transfer/6 weeks) for meetings of the district and zone.  So it’s only “see you later” for Tonala. :o)  I’m super excited for Mapa! I’ve been told that it’s a little bit hotter there and rains more.  Because of the diligence of the missionaries there, the attendance at church is now around 20 people!  I think I’m in for a bit of an adventure! 

Love you all and Cuidense mucho!  Con mucho amor, Hermana Dangl


 Good bye Tonala!








 Mini Bible I gave my companion! 
 Picture of mom and siblings at the Tijuana Temple Open House & my first companion.


 Sisters from the ward that came to our house to help us clean before we leave Tonala. 
 Saying good bye to my home for the past 3 months. 

 Our zone t-shirt.
 Hermana Connolly, my sister training leader and me last week eating lunch at a member's restaurant.
 A picture of  last week's lunch that I ordered not knowing that Pulpo is octopus and also slug is abalone.

 Last week's Pday at the beach! 



 Our first time to wear pants.  A couple of months ago the church said girls can wear pants in areas where there are problems with mosquitoes. 
 Family Home Evening at the church.
 Eating a chocolate Aztec head.

 Saying good-bye to my friends in Tonala.

No comments:

Post a Comment