Monday, July 4, 2016

Semana 16 - The bread is so good!

Hola friends and family,

When I look back on the week it seems like Monday was so long ago but also like it’s already another Monday and I don’t know how it happened so fast.  On Tuesday I got an amazing surprise that was probably against a lot of mission rules.  When we went to Hermana Yazmin’s house for lunch, she called Hermana Juarez (my 1st companion) on the phone and I got to talk to her!  It was so nice to hear her voice.  One of my recent converts was telling me how weird it was for him to see Hermana Juarez in pants via pictures on Facebook. 

On Wednesday I got us super lost and we probably walked in the wrong direction for like ½ an hour before we finally called a member and figured things out.  Afterwards we contacted someone in the street who said he lived in California for a bit and he wanted to practice his English and it was surprisingly hard.  It sounds weird, but trying to teach the gospel in English is almost difficult. I think it’s because we contact so much that it’s almost a bit scripted so it’s weird to translate the things I normally say in Spanish into English when I’ve only ever said them in Spanish.  I’ve never had this problem before, it was so weird!  But don’t get me wrong, it’s still only with teaching the gospel haha, my English is still perfectly intact and my Spanish is still not great. 

On Thursday I ate really good bread, because the people here have bikes where the front wheel is replaced with an area where people can sit, store stuff or sell stuff and then there’s a wheel on either side.  A lot of people sell bread and it’s the best thing ever.  On Friday, we ran over to Banamex because it’s the only bank that has money right now out of like 5 banks in Tonala.  There’s a lot of stuff happening in Chiapas right now with boycotting and protests over teachers.  I’m not totally sure about all that’s going on but we can’t travel very easily and money isn’t getting passed through the banks and there’s no gas apparently.  So, we rushed to the bank to withdrawal our monthly allowance plus reserve funds. There were a lot of people there, probably with the same idea in mind as us. 

We’ve also been working a lot with members which is awesome.  Especially when they’re recent RM’s (returned missionaries) and then it’s like having 3 missionaries teaching.  We have a few new investigators who are really great and have a ton of potential.  It’s really exciting, but none of them came to church on Sunday which is a bit soul crushing.  Our investigators are like our babies, you want them to grow and learn and go to church – so it is really stinks when they don’t come.  I’m sure there are quite a few RM’s reading this letter who can relate.  I am doing well overall, though my companion has been having a lot of problems with back pain.  It would be amazing if you could all pray for her!  Also, Happy 4th of July! 


Con much amor, Hermana Dangl







 We went up to an area with a member that turned out to be for the couple missionaries.
Whoops! It was up like a million stairs and you could see the whole city 


 New shoes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment