Monday, August 15, 2016

Semana 22 - Rain & Thunder = Cooler Weather

This weekend we had the best weather I’ve seen in Chiapas.  It’s been raining quite a bit and there are times in the day or night when it’s actually nice out.  It isn’t overbearingly hot, there’s not a lot of sun, and I’m used to the humidity by this point so that’s not a problem. It’s great!  To make things even better, I went on a brutal rampage and killed basically all of our crickets so now it’s just us and the salamanders, and all of the other bugs that enter.  I know, my life is super exciting. 

This week we also got to visit Tonala which actually was very exciting.  I weirdly felt like I was coming home, returning to the oven of Chiapas that is my first area.  We had a zone meeting at 10 am so we had to leave el cuarto (it’s a “house” but only of one room so I’m going to refer to it as “el cuarto” from here on out) at 6:30 am.  We used to live 7 minutes from the church in Tonala and now it’s a day full of traveling because it’s about 3 hours away to get to the zone meeting.  Afterwards we ate in Tonala with a member from my ward there named Yazmin and her mom.  They’re super awesome and we got to help them make the quesadillas (best in the entire world) and the salsa.  Amazing!  Then we returned to Mapa, which was nice because it’s less hot thanks to the rain. 

On Friday we hosted a Ward Activity based on the Articles of Faith and it was raining very apocalyptically.  The thunder here is crazy loud, I don’t know why.  After we contacted in a new area, which is easy to do when your area is like 4 areas, and it was super jungley.  The people were really nice though and one lady brought us out papause which is a weird bumpy light green/grey fruit that’s super pink inside.  Another contact in the same area gave us a papause as well so we all had a ton.  Our Branch President Toledo accompanied us for all this.  I’m going to miss the fruits of Mexico when I come home, that’s for sure. 

On Saturday at like 2 o’clock in the morning Hermana Arrellano got up and turned on the light and tried to start companion prayer because she dreamed that the alarm had gone off but yeah no because it was 2 in the morning haha.  It was probably one of the funniest things that happened this week. 

On Sunday it rained the entire afternoon.  I actually resorted to wearing a poncho because it literally would not stop raining.  I’ve learned by now that Chiapas is about the extremes, either hot or raining and sometimes both.  We did see a miracle Sunday though!  When we contact people in the street, it’s all about extending invitations.  Invitations to learn more, for us to visit them, to come to church, English classes, what not.  A contact from an area called “La Bendicion,” (the blessing) was he came to church!  We invite literally EVERYONE to church and no one ever takes us up on it but this guy did.  It’s a classic escogido (chosen) move.  So we’re hoping it goes somewhere all in all, Hermana Arrellano and I are doing good and I’m happy here in Mapa. 


Until next week, con much amor,  Hermana Dangl
 Hermana Arrellano from companion from Equador and I on a bridge.
 After the baptism of Hermana Lulu last week.  
 In our room studying! 
 Papause - bumpy light green/grey fruit with a pink inside.  Delicious! 

 Ward Activity - Articles of Faith Game 

 Wearing my rain coat because it wouldn't stop raining! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment