Monday, August 29, 2016

Semana 24 - Iguanas, Tortillas, & Temple Trip

Hello friends and family,

Another week has passed crazily fast but every Monday feels like the past Monday was a million years ago. On Tuesday I hit my 5 month mark.  Wow!  We taught English class and then headed on out to La Vainilla, by combi 45 minutes away and it’s super green and pretty.  It seemed like all of the La Vainilla was cookin up Iguanas that day. If any of you have dissected a frog in science before it’s kind of like that, cut open belly over a grill. I was fortunate enough to pick two up.  First, one that was being cooked and another that was still alive, awaiting his doom.  I’m told they taste like chicken and fish put together but I still don’t know.  Iguanas are a pretty hot commodity here though.  I’ve heard you can buy one for about 200 pesos or if you have really good aim you can use a slingshot to catch them.  Very exciting stuff.

On Wednesday we took a bus to Tonala for a district meeting.  When I we got back to Mapa, it was miserably hot.  While we were eating dinner at a member’s house I was leaving wet marks on her table from my arms and we were both dripping.  You know it’s hot when sweat falls from your eyebrows into your soup.  On Thursday it was also crazy hot but in the afternoon the clouds literally dumped a lake on Mapa so that was nice. 

On Friday we had English classes and we have a new student who’s 74 years old.  It’s pretty great.  That night all the members met up at the church and we had an activity at midnight.  I think it’s the first and last time to play Temple Jeopardy at midnight but the combi (transportation mini van) for the temple was leaving at 1:30 am so we had the job of keeping everyone awake.  We got to the temple around 5:30 am for breakfast, and then entered around 6:30 am.  We had a lot of first timers which was super awesome.  We left Tuxtla around 2 pm and finished out the day strong with some lessons. 

Sunday we invited one of my favorite investigators over to eat with us at a member’s house after church and he accepted a baptismal date.  I was crying internally, it was amazing!  It also rained a ton but we forgot our umbrellas so we used sweaters and it was not very fun.  All in all, it was a good week.  Two phenomenons I’d like to note though.  First, is that when it’s raining, the people here are cold.  It is not cold out, but they put on pants, jackets, and shoes.  It’s very bizarre but they’re all so accustomed to heat that they get cold really fast. Also, the tortilla stereotype is 500% true.  Sometimes people ask us for money but it’s always so they can buy tortillas.  In prayers when the people give thanks for the food, it’s thanks for the tortillas.  There is a stack at every single meal and often we don’t use silverware or napkins, we use tortillas.  I am so not kidding.  There’s a Tortilleria on every corner, like Starbuck’s or 7-11’s back home.  Mexico lives off of tortillas.  One shock is real when I tell people we don’t have Tortillerias in the US.  A tortilleria is a store that exclusively sells tortillas.  That’s my cultural thought for the week.  Haha.  Until next Monday!


Con much amor, Hermana Dangl  

 Herman Dangl & Hermana Arellano in front of the Tuxtla Temple
 A picture with my favorite child here in the mission, he is so cute! 
 Soaked by the rain, and using a sweater because we forgot our umbrellas.
 Yes I am really sweating here a lot.  It is dripping off of my face.
 The iguana awaiting his time to be cooked.
Barbecued Iguana!

No comments:

Post a Comment