Monday, October 24, 2016

Semana 32 - Training, Raining, & Jumping Frogs

Hello friends and family,

Well, I survived my first week training!  My new compa is named Hermana Renteria and she’s from Mexico City.  She’s 20 years old and is very outgoing.  So far, so good.  Last Monday Hermana Arellano and I traveled to Arriaga and then from there, I traveled to Tuxtla (alone!) I got to the mission home Monday night and there were only 2 other sister missionaries who were going to train this transfer.  We went to sleep and I had the best sleeping conditions in all of my mission.  I used to take this for granted.  I showered in warm water and slept in a comfy bed with sheets and a blanket and a/c.  It doesn’t really get better than this – I was seriously in heaven.  

On Tuesday was the big reveal. I was the last of the sisters so it was kind of obvious who it was but I had to get up, present myself and the area, and then on the screen appears the picture of the new missionary and they come up and take pictures and it’s all fun and happy.  We traveled all afternoon and then that night stayed in Arriaga and I slept the exact opposite as the night before.  Four hermanas on 2 twin mattresses on the floor sharing one fan and dying of heat and mosquitoes.   

Wednesday morning we left for Mapastepec.  Whoo!  We got home, dropped off the stuff and headed out to Bonanza.  I’ve had time to get accustomed to the heat but my hija is dying of heat always.  My new compa is “mi hija” because I’m here Mama in the mission because I’m training her for 3 months.  Also of how much we walk and getting up at 6:30 everyday. . . it’s hard to get accustomed to it.  When training in the Mission, it’s like a chick cracking out of it’s shell – little by little they learn and progress.  And really, it never stops.  We are constantly learning and finding better ways to teach, to express and to understand.  The mission is definitely a journey. 

On Thursday we visited an area called, “La Bendicion,” and it was raining pretty hard as we walked there.  It’s an area that my mom would say is “out in the boonies.”  But it’s super gorgeous and green.  However, the roads there are very prone to be lakes when it rains so when we walked back at night there were SO MANY frogs.  It was dark so we couldn’t see them and it seemed like they couldn’t see us either because they were hopping alllll over and across the trail and our feet.  I was feeling like maybe this is kind of how the people of Egypt felt when God sent the plagues,  because we couldn’t take a step without running into a jumping frog. 

On Friday we set up everything to move which will be happening this week. It’s very exciting stuff.  Training is making me realize that I know a lot more about missionary work, the area, and Spanish than I had thought.  On Saturday we went to La Vainilla, like always, and I’m including a picture of our “misioneritos” little missionaries,  Bryan and Ronaldo.  They accompany us in their dress pants, all put together.  They’re both seven years old. :o)  On Sunday we celebrated Hermana Renteria’s belated 20th birthday and I turned 7 months in the mission.  Wow!  It’s flying.  I’ll be home before we all know it, until next week. 

Con mucho amor, Hermana Dangl 

 Proselyting in La Vainilla.


 Duck in Sesecapa.
 Sesecapa with flooded streets (this is a street not a river)!


 Dinner!
At the temple  with Hermana Renteria, my new companion.
With Hermana Cruz.

1 comment:

  1. Really great experiences! Humbling, isn't it? So happy for your escogidos.

    ReplyDelete