Monday, January 2, 2017

Semana 42 - Happy New Year - Change is the one word!

Feliz Ano Nuevo!  Happy New Year! 

Ringing in the New Year when you're a missionary means going to bed at 10:30 pm and not celebrating anything, but I hope you all had fun! The majority of 2016 for me was the mission and the majority of 2017 for me will also be my mission, which is cool!

For my journal this week, I wrote a lot about the food I ate, and I'm not going to bore you all with the details of that. To make a long story short, I ate some really good food this week. I also some food that really wasn't so good, and I don't think I would shed a tear if I never ate stuff like that again. The good thing about taking an anatomy class before my mission is that I now always know what I'm eating. But I guess taking my anatomy class is a double edged sword because now, as I mentioned before, I recognize the things on my plate :o). 

Anyway, this week was a rough one with a lot of fallen through appointments and a lot of walking.  I think Saturday was the best day this week.  We went to Bonanza, one of the surrounding colonies, which was something we hadn’t done in a while.  Afterwards Rubi’s mom taught me how to make tortillas by hand!  Some people consider putting the dough in a little metal press thing as "handmade tortillas," but cheaing like this doesn't count.  I have no clue how, but they use only their hands to make a perfect little flat and even dough circle.  I was struggling a lot with this because you have to put your tortilla over a flat metal sheet that's set over a fire and then flip it using your hands as well.  I have to admit that I do not have many tortilla making skills, but it sure was fun to try.

We also visited Lupita, and she gave us a seasonal and very traditional hot punch drink.  She then told us that the tradition here is to set 12 goals for the New Year. Then at 12 seconds before the New Year, you eat 12 grapes (one for every second) to represent your goals. For anyone who has played Chubby Bunny it seems similar.  

Now, as I reflected on the past year, one word came to mind. That ONE WORD is "change."  This year had a lot of ups, and a lot of downs, and a whole lot of change.  I think I've changed more in this year as a person than I have in any other year in my life.  And for that I am grateful, being on a mission turns on a light to your flaws sometimes, but then gives you the opportunity to learn and grow from them.  
Anyway, I hope you all have a great week and a good start to a New Year! 

Con amor, Hermana Dangl 

 Bonanza









 Making Tortillas by hand with Rubi's mom, Conchi! 



Hermana Dangl, Hermana Gladis, and Hermana Renteria 

 People in Bonanza 

 My companion and I with our English class students.


No comments:

Post a Comment