Monday, January 16, 2017

Semana 44 - New Area, Changes, and Responsibilities

Hello family and friends,

First off to start... what a week!  I felt like I was dreaming multiple times this week. My new area is called Terrazas, and the zone is called Mactumatza.  It's in the central part of Tuxtla Gutierrez, which is the state capitol. Tuxtla is very, very, very different from Mapa, which is where I was just at.  I left a branch with 20+ people coming to church to a full on ward with 80-100 people.  There's actually members to feed us and be worried about us and randomly say hi in the street. . .  it's amazing!  Tuxtla is more like a city.  There are lots of cars and things, and it's a lot more modern.  There's more money, and the lives of the people are more technologically advanced.  It's a lot more likely that the people will have internet, TV's, cars, and running water throughout the house.  It's a huge change for me (haha), but I'm not complaining.  It's super awesome to be with Hermana Arellano again. 

On Tuesday Hermana Renteria and I got up super early to finish packing, cleaning and getting ready to go.  I came to my mission with 2 1/2 full suitcases and now I have 2  very, very full suitcases and a very full carry on as well, but everything kinda fits.  We took a bus to Arriaga and then waited for a bus to Tuxtla.  We ate with a member in Arriaga, and it was a Oaxacan dish that looked like a bunch of soggy tortillas in a spicy bean sauce. However, it was actually pretty good.  Then I took a bus to Tuxtla, while Hermana Renteria stayed behind.  She's going to stay in Mapa for this transfer, and she will be with Hermana Flores.  Hermana Flores is the hija of Hermana Nelson, my MTC companion (hija means daughter in Spanish, but in missionary talk, hija is the missionary that she trained when the new missionary first came to the mission) and Hermana Renteria is my hija, so Hermana Nelson and I were freaking out a bit that our hijas are companions.  :o)

When I got to Tuxtla, Hermana Arellano and I had a very happy reunion, and we had a lot to talk about.  We got to the apartment (which has a COUCH!!!!) and talked a lot about the area and my new responsibilities as a capacitadora (Sister Training Leader or STL).  Our zone is really big, so we have 4 companionships of sisters that we are responsible for. This means we have to call them every night to make sure all is well and check how they're doing. And if something is wrong, it's up to us to fix it. If they get sick, they come stay with us and we get to be moms and take them to the doctor.  Once a week, we will do a companion exchange with one of the companionships and offer any training tips. We also help the zone leaders teach duriong our zone conferences.  

This past week was calm because it was the first week of the transfer, but this coming week is supposedly going to be crazy busy.  I really like the area, the people are very nice and have a lot of potential.

On Wednesday we started the day with therapy because Hermana Arellano has 2 hernias in her back/spine, and very recently she's started walking again so the work is a little different. Right now, we have to walk very slowly and frequently rest on park benches or street curbs because she has a lot of pain.  So far, I haven't had the opportunity to do this a lot on my mission – to serve my companion.  It's like being a boyfriend; I get to lift all the heavy things and basically help out more.  It's teaching me a lot about patience and better understand the scripture that says, "When ye are in the service of your fellowman, ye are only in the service of God."

On Thursday a funny moment reminded me of my childhood . . . when I was little, sometimes my mom threatened to wash my mouth out with soap if I talked back.  I heard a similar threat the other day, that if one of the kids said swear words, the adult would wash his mouth out with soap.  Here they wash a lot of things with soap and bleach (chlorine) like the floors, dishes, clothes, everything.  So the kid who was in danger of getting his mouth washed out with soap. He has a brother, who with all the best intentions suggested washing his mouth with bleach instead of soap because it would be better.  I'm glad Rachel never suggested that one for me. :o) I don't know why but it was really funny.  (Okay as the blog writer and mom I do have to add that Katelynne took it into her hands one time to be "the mom" and wash Rachel's mouth out with soap. Haha!)  I also realized that I had accustomed a lot to 10000% humidity and heat and right now Tuxtla is passing through a "cold front" which means I wear a sweater in the mornings and at night but it's killing me because I'm not used to it.  I'm not sure how I'll cope when I come home. 

On Friday we had a good day.  The members here serve us really awesome food.  Something funny that has been happening a lot is that the people we contact in the street think we're both "Mexicanas."  It is funny because we both are from other countries.  My companion doesn't have a Mexican accent at all because she's from Ecuador and I am super obviously American but there is genuine surprise when we reveal that we're foreigners.  Only if we teach for a longer time do they realize we aren't from here, on my part because my Spanish isn't perfect and with more time there is more room for little mistakes that give me away.

Saturday was a harder day, it's hard when I can see that my companion is suffering mentally and physically but I can't really do anything about it.  Things are very different now from when we ran all around Mapastepec together a few months ago, BUT I wouldn't change anything.  I'm very happy in my new area that I'm still trying to get a hang of and I have a renewed sense of hope for missionary work. 

Sunday was the first Sunday in the Terrazas Ward's new church building, which is very beautiful and new.  The church is growing a lot in Tuxtla and Chiapas (the state of Mexico), which is very exciting.  All in all, a lot of new things are happening in my mission right now. There are a lot of changes and I have a lot of things to learn but whomever God calls, He qualifies ... to doubt the calling you've been given and your ability to do it, is to doubt God and His hand in all things.  I hope you all have a good week and if you're praying for me, I'd love if you could include Hermana Arellano as well for her health. 

Thanks!

Con amor, Hermana Dangl 


(welcome sister trainer)







No comments:

Post a Comment