Monday, February 20, 2017

Semana 49 - Hearts, Baptisms, Heat, & Mole

Hola, Hola, Hola!

I'll start with the good news: Transfers! Hermana Arellano and I are both staying here in Terrazas for one more transfer. Whoo! By the end of what is very likely to be our last transfer together, we will have been together for 6 months, but in 2 different areas. 

On Tuesday we walked for a good while in the HOT sun. We litterally walked around searching out for the tiniest slivers of shade. We may have to start using umbrellas because we're dying, and the hot season really hasn't even reached its peak yet. We ate with an Hermana who gave us mole (it's a chocolate meat sauce, very traditional), but with a lot of condiments with Tascalate. Everyone we talked to in the street rejected us all day. BUT on the bright side, we celebrated Valentine's Day - I heart attacked Hermana Arellano's wall! (see the pictures below.) Thank you all so MUCH for those of you who sent us notes. It meant a lot to me and it meant a lot to her as well. 

On Wednesday we had a district meeting! Yah! Then we ate nobal (cactus) tacos and taught our English classes. We also visited Marisol, Pedro, & Janeth and helping them get prepared for their baptism. They're super great!  

On Thursday we did companion exchanges with the Hermanas in Mactumatza. I was partnered with Hermana Connolly, who was actually my sister training leader when I was in Tonala and then Mapastepec. Now it's my turn to be her STL (Sister Training Leader), which feels really weird... On Friday Hermana Connolly and I taught a less active who doesn't come to church (in part) because her bishop forgot to do something he said he would do. It always makes me sad when I hear things like that. It makes me wonder if pride is more important to some people than their salvation. Maybe that sounds harsh, but when you realize that we go to church to renew our baptismal covenants and to worship God, it really doesn't matter who may offend us or what others may do to us because we can focus on what's really important. I love the scripture (that I shared) from Doctrine & Covenants 64:9-10 where it basically says the Lord can do and forgive whatever/whomever He wants but it's our duty as recipients of the Atonement to forgive all men. After we finished companion exchanges, President George and Elder Allen came over to the church to do the baptismal interviews. They all passed! Wahoo! President George accidentally told us about the upcoming transfers ahead of time as well... He asked us to do something for him, so he totally gave it away, but it made everything better because then I didn't have to stress about what was coming up. 

After our meeting, we went to search out for a new investigator, but we couldn't find him. So, we asked for directions and  ended up contacting the person who helped us out. It was a slightly older couple, and when their son and his wife realized that we were missionaries, they totally snuck off to go for a walk. During the time while they were on their walk, the couple invited us in to sing a hymn and get some water. When the son and his wife returned to see us teaching his parents, they were pretty surprised (haha) to see us inside of their house after they had so effectively evaded us... so they went on another walk haha. The parents were super receptive and awesome and it was totally a miracle contact! 

On Saturday - wow, what a day!!! Marisol, Pedro, and Janeth's baptism was amazing, spiritual and really special. Hermana Arellano and I have really come to love them. We sang, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me," as a special musical number, and it was super spiritual and Marisol was crying. Hermana George totally saved us though because she and President George ended up coming and she played the piano for us. I was going to do it, but it proved to be very difficult to sing the hymn in Spanish and play the piano at the same time. It all turned out well though. :o)  When they were baptized, Hermana Arellano and I started to cry a bit because it was such a beautiful and special moment. That day Elder Allen (our district leader) officially gave us the transfer information - very few people from the zone are leaving, and so we'll all be here together one more transfer.

Sunday wasn't all that eventful, but we did sing, "I Love to See the Temple," in sacrament meeting. It was pretty hot outside as well, but not as bad inside of people's houses. When we're out walking in the sun it's pretty killer. We helped an investigator clean her roof, and she gave us soy milk that her husband made from soy beans. At night while walking, a woman stopped us and asked us where the nearest church was. We ended up talking and we sang her the hymn, "I Stand All Amazed" in the street and she told us she felt something really special and asked us to visit her. Yeah! Another small miracle. Missionary work is full of them. It was a successful week, though a tiring one. I'm doing well. I'm adapting to my area and my new responsibilities. I am happy. 

Con amor, Hermana Dangl

A letter from Katelynne's companion,

Hi, Dangl Family
I'm sister Arellano A.K.A. Sister A :o) You are really special family, sometimes is easy to forget how our Heavenly Father loves us but you remember me, thank you for your prayers and love. Actually, I'm feeling better and I hope to finish healthy. Sister Dangl is always helping me. She is a great missionary and companion, we enjoy to learn together and serve the Lord our Savior! I'm so grateful for you and your heart attack. That was really nice. DyC 130:2 "And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy."

Querida familia Dangl ustedes tienen un lugar muy especial en mi corazon, siempre! 

Con amor, Hermana Arellano 

 Heart Attack on Hermana Arellano's Window!



 Hermana Connolly and Hermana Dangl in Mactumatza on companion exchanges.



 Marisol, Pedro, and Janeth's baptism.

 Look at me! 

 Aaroncito and Morony 

 Cabeza (head) Maya with Hermana Arellano 

 Hermanas Banda, Arellano, Connolly, and Dangl 

 Cooling off with yummy smoothies. 

They are now members of the church! 


Letter written to the Dangl Family from Hermana Arellano 

No comments:

Post a Comment