Monday, February 27, 2017

Semana 50 - Mole Enchiladas & Street Theater Showing of Meet the Mormons

Hola, Hola, Hola!

Another week has passed me by, and once again I get to write you all :o). This week was fine. We had transfers this week, but I wasn't affected. I didn't change my area nor my companion, so it just kind of feels like a continuation of the last transfer. 

Monday is P-day! My Pdays or "preperation day" are usually always the same. I wash clothes, clean the house, write this letter, and sometimes go to Wal-mart. We did get free smoothies though! 

On Tuesday, we were in the OCC (it's the main bus station here) all day to welcome and send off new Hermanas to the zone. It means we wait a long time and talk to other missionaries a lot, which is strangely exhausting. We took a combi to go eat with a member, but we got super lost. So we took another combi, but that didn't help all that much. We ended up arriving for dinner instead of lunch. Haha. It was also randomly cold out, so we taught some investigators while sitting around a little fire they had made outside. Honestly, it was probably 60 degrees out. The "Chiapanecos" are really used to the heat, so just a little bit of cold weather makes them all freeze and get sick. 

On Wednesday we ate Tlayudas with the Bishop's family. It's a traditional dish from Oaxaca - it just looks like a huge taco. After teaching our English class, we taught a super less active member. While we washed her dishes, she basically collected stuff from her pantry and fridge that she supposedly no longer needed and ended up sending us off with a TON of food. I've said it before, but there's honestly something about being a missionary that makes people want to feed you. I'm totally not complaining :o). 

On Thursday I turned 11 months old in the mission! Whoa! We ate with the Stake President, and he asked me about which temple I go to at home and he hadn't realized there was a temple in Newport. I told him about how the church had bought the land but was going to lose it, so the members in our area and the 16 stakes in Orange County ended up making the necessary sacrifices to pay for our temple and have it built. It made me really proud to realize that the members back home realize the importance of temples and temple ordinances. He told me he wants me to tell the story in Stake Conference next week so that the members here can see the worth of a temple, but I'm low key hoping he doesn't make me speak... haha. We also taught some new investigators who had a lot of questions and had some serious potential. They totally cried during the hymn we sang to them. I'm a big believer in the power of hymns and the spirit they bring. Our hymnals get VERY well used here. 

On Friday we ate mole enchiladas and put up a "street theater," which was cool! We watched "Meet the Mormons" outside with the movie projected on the wall of a member's house. It turned out really well. We had a ton of recent converts come, as well as a few investigators. 

Saturday was one of "those" days. All of our appointments fell through, and everyone we contacted just wasn't interested. It was really hot out, and there wasn't any water, which has everyone freaking out. BUT we did have a good lesson with Marisol, Pedro, and Janeth, who are our recent converts. We're super stoked for them because they're really awesome and already seem like they've been members for years. 

On Sunday we went to church! First we stopped by to pick up an investigator. He really didn't want to wake up, and I wanted to do to him what my dad used to do to me when I was a kid – dump cold water on him. :o) haha. We went out with the Ward Missionaries after church in their "Missionary Mobile," to visit some investigators and less active members, and it was good. 

All in all, it's been a good week. I've been reading the Liahona (The Ensign, New Era, and Friend church magazines all in one in Spanish) with the General Conference talks as part of my personal study. Something I learned about it is the importance of sharing the gospel with others in 3 easy steps. 1. Pray and ask for the desire to share it. 2. Keep the commandments, and be an example to others. 3. Pray to receive inspiration about who we can share it with. Elder Dallin H. Oaks tells us we should never consider ourselves judges to determine who's prepared to receive the gospel and who isn't, only God knows our hearts and it's Him that will reveal His will so this week, I invite you all to follow the 3 steps! I am super grateful for all your prayers, but don't just pray for the missionaries to find success in sharing the gospel, pray so that you can find it too! 
Love you all! Con amor, Hermana Dangl

Here is the link to the talk if you would like to read or listen to it. 
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/10/sharing-the-restored-gospel?lang=eng



 Cine en la calle - Movie in the street 

 Hermana Dangl with Lili
 Parachico



 Hermana Arellano and I waiting at the OCC (bus station) for the new Hermanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment