Monday, July 3, 2017

Semana 68 - New Mission President & Area, Cooler weather, and Playing the piano

Hello Everyone!

Happy Monday! Greetings from Comitan! This week was very different. I feel like I'm in a different world! I remember feeling that way when I got to Tuxtla too.

  • I left for Comitan at 5:45 pm on Tuesday, so we basically spent all of Tuesday packing and cleaning. It was a mess! I now have a lot more stuff that I've accumulated over the past year. But I still have the same 2 suitcases,
  • I got to Comitan around 9:15 ish. I traveled with other missionaries. We had a lot of people waiting for us when we got there.
  • Hermana Diaz is my companion, and she's from Guatemala. She's only been in our humungous area for only 1 transfer, but she sort of knows her way around... but not really, and I know nothing. So we got lost several times. The area is super huge, and there's not a cheap mode of transportation available, so we end up having to walk around a lot, a LOT. 
  • The weather is way weird. It's kind of hot in the sun, but it's cool in the shade. The sun burns though!  When it rains it's cold though and it's cold water, so that is the difference between here and my other areas. It rained on Sunday, and it was pretty dang cold out there for me. A member told me that it was 69 degrees out. 
  • We are trying to find a lot of new people to teach, and Hermana Diaz is conquering her fears about contacting people in the street.
  • So many hills.
  • We taught E. our progressing investigator, and he set his own baptismal date for his birthday! It was super cool! 
  • We met our new mission President, President Doman and his wife. Woo! We got a call on Friday in the morning that said we had to be in San Cristobal by 3 pm., about 2 hours away, so we had to leave by 12 to get there in time.  One problem was that we didn't have any dinerito (cash) because it was the end of the month. So we said a prayer, and I found 500 pesos, so we were saved. We ended up going as a zone together in a combi and President Doman didn't get there until 6:30ish. His wife talked to us in English and the Assistants translated. It was so good!  She talked to us in her mom voice, and I haven't had someone talk to me in a "mom voice," in a long time. I'm excited for everything that's happening. We got home super late though because we had to travel back.
  • On Sunday, I went through a mini crisis. No one (absolutely no one) else plays the piano in the branch, even though it's huge - it's ward sized. So, I am now the Ward Pianist! What!? It was way different from when I did it in Mapa like twice. Here there are a lot more people, and I always get nervous when people sing while I play... but I thought about the Parable of the Talents in the Bible. 

    Matthew 25:14 – 30
    14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredstunto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithfulservant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be takenaway even that which he hath.
    30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

    I felt that if I didn't get to practice the talent I had been given, I would lose it, and God wouldn't bless me with more. So I played, and it went well!

    My advice: Ask God what your talents are and then get to work developing them!

Con amor, Hermana Dangl

 Saying goodbye to members in Terrazas and... arriving in Comitan!





Hermana Dangl & Hermana Diaz in San Cristobal

Eating with members and the other missionaries in the branch.

Our zone went out to eat while we were waiting for President Doman because we hadn't eaten for awhile and it was so good!

 Comitan!

 More of Comitan.

Selfies with Hermana Diaz



Pres. & Srs. Doman incoming and Pres. and Srs. George outgoing.
They took care of Hermana Dangl for 15 months and are going back home to Wyoming after three years of service. 

 Group hug for Pres. Doman from the Elders. 

Hermana Dangl to the left of Srs. Doman.

Click on the link above. 
Rachel, Jeff, and Sherrilynne all went to Youth Conference last week and we asked the missionaries in the stake to share their testimony and talk about our theme, "Lift Up Your Voice," and this is her video we shared with the youth. Notice her hammock in the background, that she bought herself for her birthday last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment